Thursday, June 6

Psalm 68:3

Scripture:


Psalm 68:3 (NIV) “But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.” 

Observation:

The little boy was filthy, smelly, and annoying. I just wanted him to leave me alone! I was on assignment in Accra, Ghana, filming a documentary about life and ministry in the “Sodom and Gomorrah” slum. As I tried to keep up with my guides a gaggle of small children followed me, interested in my camera. One boy in particular kept touching and bumping me. “Snap me, snap me,” he pleaded. He wanted his picture taken. The boy was literally covered in dirt and human waste. The smell was overpowering. I finally relented and stooped down to take his photo. Anything to make him leave me be! After a couple snaps, the boy laughed with excitement and ran off. Later that night I looked at my footage. When I saw his photo, I began to weep. He was beautiful! His oversized, ragged shirt hung loosely off his shoulders. The muck of the streets covered his legs. But his face and his smile were precious! He was the picture of true joy. This boy lived in a literal hell, at the bottom of the world’s economic ladder, with a bleak future. But that day he found something to smile about.

 

Whatever you face today, no matter what angers or frustrates you, try to find a reason to rejoice! For we who are in Christ Jesus, no matter our circumstances, there really is something to smile about. Something for which to be joyful!

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love. 
  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

DAN KERSTEN is a missions journalist of 18 years, ordained Assemblies of God minister, and serves as director of Development and Communications for Men’s Ministries and Light for the Lost with the U.S. AG. He has a deep passion for men’s discipleship and fulfilling the Great Commission. He lives in Republic, MO, with his wife, Tara, and their son, Omar.

No comments:

Post a Comment