Tuesday, October 16

Tuesdays with Jacob


Read Genesis 26:2-6 – Then the Lordappeared to him and said: “Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land of which I shall tell you. Dwell in this land, and I will be with you and bless you; for to you and your descendants I give all these lands, and I will perform the oath which I swore to Abraham your father. And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven; I will give to your descendants all these lands; and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.”So Isaac dwelt in Gerar. (NKJV)

God’s best can’t always be found in the place where you might find man’s best. For Isaac, Egypt was the logical destination during famine. But God’s plan for his provision wasn’t where Isaac’s own wisdom might lead. Fortunately, he obeyed God rather than conventional wisdom and God took care of him. I wonder how often we change jobs, move across the country or make other major life changes for a greater salary or supposed career advancement, only to find that what we gave up was more valuable than we first realized? I’ve seen many who suffer greatly because of lost relationships, unhappy church searches or some other hardship that more money couldn’t cover. Changes that seem like “no brainers” aren’t always God’s preferred path for our lives, because God cares about more than just the size of our paychecks.

– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment