Wednesday, March 7

Wednesdays with Moses

Read Exodus 3:13-15 –  Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’” (NKJV)

Moses is feeling a bit unsure in his new assignment; so, he asks God to give him a powerful name by which the people might know Him. God’s answer is more powerful than Moses even anticipated. He is “I AM”—the ultimate statement of existence, before all things and long after all has passed away. But God’s name says even more than power. It also speaks of presence, for “I AM” speaks of a God who promises that wherever His people will go and whatever they might face, He will be with them. Given the ups and downs that comprise every life, knowing a God whose name speaks strength and constant presence becomes the Rock you need to stand firm. He won’t be defeated and nothing about Him will ever be limited. He is “I AM”.

– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.
National Light for the Lost Day . May 6, 2012 . www.men.ag.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment