Monday, July 1

James 1:19-20

Scripture:


James 1:19-20 “This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.” (NASB) 

Observation:

I knew the second it left my mouth that I was in trouble. While having a discussion with my wife, I really wanted to get my point across. So, I uttered some unflattering words. I desired to make my point so much that I didn't really care what or how it came out, and when it did the look on her face told me I had crossed the line. Today's verse speaks of being quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger for our anger does not achieve the righteousness of God. I had done just the opposite of every line in today's verse. I had been slow to listen, quick to speak, and I let my anger run my mouth. I did apologize and was forgiven, but it never should have gone that far. When we make life all about us and our point of view, we forget two people in the process. One is the person we are speaking to and the second is God. Do we ever think that how we treat each other is a reflection of how we treat our relationship with Him? Are we honoring Him by how we listen, speak, and what we do with our anger? It's okay to be angry, but the Word says to be angry but not sin. Big difference! Maybe we should memorize today's verse and hold it close to our hearts like we should be holding those we love.    

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love.

 

  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

TOM SEMBER has been involved in ministering to men for over 25 years. He is an ordained minister with the AG in the NY Ministry Network. Tom lives with his wife, Carolyn, and children in New York. You can connect with Tom on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment