Tuesday, May 21

Romans 2:5-9

Scripture:


Romans 2:5-9 “But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who will render to each person according to his deeds: to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek.” (NASB)

Observation:

After finishing the job, I waited for someone to tell me what a great job I did. To be totally truthful, I wanted a pat on the back for a job well done. The only problem was that I was the only one there. I thought maybe in time, someone would see the work I did and comment on what a wonderful job it was, but that never came. I had a choice to face: did I do the job to get the glory, or did I do the job because I was blessed with the talents to do them? Today's verse speaks about how each person will be rendered to his deeds and that those who persevere in doing good will receive eternal life, but those who are selfishly ambitious will have tribulation and distress. I had fallen into the second category and needed to decide why I did what I did. Then, I needed to think of why I do what I do. Is if for my glory or His? Are you seeking the glory, or are you pointing to our Heavenly Father as the giver of all good gifts and talents and using them for His glory?  

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love. 
  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

TOM SEMBER has been involved in ministering to men for over 20 years. He is an ordained minister with the AG in the NY Ministry Network. Tom lives with his wife, Carolyn, and children in New York. You can connect with Tom on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment