Wednesday, May 22

Hebrews 13:17

Scripture:


Hebrews 13:17 “Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch you’re your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you…” (NASB)

Observation:

You couldn't tell at first, but as the days went on, it became obvious. As a young boy, one of my chores around the house was to cut the lawn. The first time I did, I really didn't pay that much attention to the directions my dad gave me. I cut the lawn, put the lawn mower away, and went to play. As the days went on, you could see all the spots I missed. I didn't follow my dad's directions and the front yard looked rather horrible. Today's scripture speaks of obeying our leaders and submitting to them as they keep watch over our souls and have to give an account. I can only imagine what my dad thought as the days went on and the yard looked worse and worse. The second part of the verse speaks of our leaders doing it with joy and not grief. I am sure I brought my dad some grief and it begs the question: Are those in authority over us able to give a good account of how we are doing our jobs? Are they filled with joy or grief in what we bring? Better yet, I wonder what God thinks of how we follow His directions. 

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love. 
  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

TOM SEMBER has been involved in ministering to men for over 20 years. He is an ordained minister with the AG in the NY Ministry Network. Tom lives with his wife, Carolyn, and children in New York. You can connect with Tom on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment