Thursday, May 9

Galatians 6:3

Scripture:


Galatians 6:3 “For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.” (NASB)

Observation:

Recently, Carolyn, my wife, and I were on our way to Sunday service when we had a situation. It caused me to have a reality check and live my faith at full throttle. You see, there is a man who rides his bike to our church; he is one of the men who directs traffic in the parking lot. It was a cold and wintry morning as we approached him riding down the busy street. I had a choice. I could drive by and “pretend” I didn’t see him, or I could stop and offer him a ride. Offering him a ride meant putting his bike, which was covered in road slush in the back of my new SUV, and then having him sit in the seat all covered with the slop that ran up his back. I know what you’re thinking, “How incredibly selfish.” That’s what I thought too as I pulled over and said, “Hey Jim, can we give you a lift?” Living our faith at full throttle means living for others and not ourselves. I mean really what did it cost me - a few towels to clean up the car later on - to give a ride to a brother? Almost seems like a no brainer. If we know Jesus, then we know that this is what He would have done. Do we think too highly of ourselves and our stuff?

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love. 
  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

TOM SEMBER has been involved in ministering to men for over 20 years. He is an ordained minister with the AG in the NY Ministry Network. Tom lives with his wife, Carolyn, and children in New York. You can connect with Tom on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment