Tuesday, April 23

Tuesdays with Jacob


Read Genesis 32:9-12 – Then Jacob said, “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, the Lord who said to me, ‘Return to your country and to your family, and I will deal well with you’: I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant; for I crossed over this Jordan with my staff, and now I have become two companies. Deliver me, I pray, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and attack me and the mother with the children. For You said, ‘I will surely treat you well, and make your descendants as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.’” (NKJV)

It seems Jacob learned a few things. In the past, Jacob relied on guile and His own wisdom when dealing with his brother, Esau. And, of course, those decisions created the mess he finds himself in now. Esau is on his way with 400 men, and if revenge is the plan, Jacob is in trouble. Those who lie tend to rely on bigger lies when the heat is turned up. But here, Jacob takes a new approach. He asks God for help and seems ready to trust God to deliver him from this impending disaster. That’s real growth for one who’s made a habit of deceiving others. God is merciful. We might think Jacob deserves whatever he gets, but fortunately, God doesn’t take pleasure in our punishment. God is at work in this story, preparing both Esau and Jacob for a long overdue reunion. And God will respond to Jacob’s plea, but only because the latter has chosen to trust Him. The point is clear. If foolish choices have created a mess for you, make better choices immediately and seek God’s help for the result.

– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment