Read Joshua 7:19-21 – Now Joshua said to Achan, “My son, I beg you, give glory to the Lord God of Israel, and make confession to Him, and tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me.” And Achan answered Joshua and said, “Indeed I have sinned against the Lord God of Israel, and this is what I have done: When I saw among the spoils a beautiful Babylonian garment, two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold weighing fifty shekels, I coveted them and took them. And there they are, hidden in the earth in the midst of my tent, with the silver under it.” (NKJV)
Confession is one of life’s most difficult moments. It’s been observed that many people will not confess to wrongdoing until every possible route of escape has been blocked. In criminal cases, confession is avoided on the hope that there isn’t sufficient evidence to prove a crime occurred. We tend to hold out hope of escaping responsibility as long as possible. Achan has sinned and God has led Joshua to Achan’s tent. Now Joshua calls Achan to acknowledge his wrongdoing. Unfortunately, his confession comes too late to avoid God’s judgment. Already the army has been defeated. Already several soldiers have died. Achan confesses, but only after Joshua has cornered him with the truth. We can’t know how this story might have been different had Achan turned from his sin on his own. We can’t know if he would have found mercy by confessing immediately after his crime or if the army’s defeat could have been avoided. We only know that confession at the door of judgment leaves little space for reconciliation.
– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment