Tuesday, August 21

Tuesdays with Abraham

Read Genesis 24:1-4 – Now Abraham was old, well advanced in age; and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things. So Abraham said to the oldest servant of his house, who ruled over all that he had, “Please, put your hand under my thigh, and I will make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and the God of the earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell; but you shall go to my country and to my family, and take a wife for my son Isaac.” (NKJV)

Is there any issue more critical to a healthy relationship than a shared spiritual passion? After years of working with couples as a pastor and counselor, I’ve concluded that being on the same page spiritually is absolutely essential for a strong marriage. Friendships work that way too. While I can enjoy connections with people of various backgrounds, those I have companionship with must be somewhere on the path I’m walking. In this passage, Abraham is concerned that his son finds a wife among his people. He knows that Isaac’s own faith journey will be greatly influenced by the wife he chooses. He also knows that a pagan wife would break the heart of Isaac’s mother, whom Abraham has just buried. Abraham’s instructions to his servant demonstrate how critical this mission must be. Making good relationship choices is critical for us as well. Ultimately, we will walk where our friends walk so choosing people that are on the right path is essential.

– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment