Thursday, May 17

Tuesdays with Abraham

Read Genesis 19:18-22 – Then Lot said to them, “Please, no, my lords! Indeed now, your servant has found favor in your sight, and you have increased your mercy which you have shown me by saving my life; but I cannot escape to the mountains, lest some evil overtake me and I die. See now, this city is near enough to flee to, and it is a little one; please let me escape there (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.” And he said to him, “See, I have favored you concerning this thing also, in that I will not overthrow this city for which you have spoken. Hurry, escape there. For I cannot do anything until you arrive there.” Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar. (NKJV)

Lot’s rescue encounters a roadblock. He can’t run to where the Angel of the Lord directs him. He simply doesn’t have the strength. So an easier path is chosen for him. Years before, when Abraham and Lot parted ways, Lot chose the easier land. He didn’t want to tackle the mountain country, but preferred instead the well-watered plains. His choice aimed him toward Sodom and a path from which he now needs rescue. But his choice also seems to have established a pattern. If it’s not easy, Lot can’t do it. We would do well to note this lesson. If we’re always looking for the easiest road, we will soon become unable to handle anything more difficult.

– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment