By Dr. Benjamin George
People, and Christians are no exception, are full of fear, necessary and unnecessary! With the global economic and financial crisis of today, there is not only fear but real panic! David was a brave lad who fought a bear and a lion while shepherding his father's flock. God anointed him king of Israel and He defeated all his enemies nations around him and became the victorious leader of Israel. But he still had his fears!
I was getting out of my house for my usual 'morning walk'. I call it 'walk with God' because I am alone and so I talk to God! I remembered my wife's fear that I might have a heart attack and hence I was forced to carry a card with my name and house telephone number. I walked out of the gate and was on the road and cars were zooming by. I feared someone may knock me down and so I walked against the traffic, which is the safest thing to do! I feared the stray dogs along the road. Some of my neighbours carry huge batons! I could go on and it wouldn't surprise you a bit because you are like me, a normal person with all kinds of fears! I haven't touched on many of the 'real fears' about our future, our family, job security, income, children's future, sickness, old age, and eventual death!
What is the answer for our fears - real or assumed, present or future? Against some of our fears we could of course take precautions. But in many instances we are helpless! What then can you and I do? Let the fears rule our lives and destroy our peace and confidence? No! God has provided us with examples of people like King David and others who tackled their fears through their trust in the Almighty God and did not succumb to them.
Notice what David did when he was in real fear and danger of his life? He spoke aloud, or being a musician and singer, he belted out a forceful declaration: "When I am afraid, I will trust in God." We need to learn some great practical lessons from this soliloquy of David so that we can face with confidence not only the ordinary fears of every day but also that of life- threatening situations. You and I, like David, need to make bold statements to ourselves and before God. Let it be the foundation or philosophy of your everyday life.
Dear believer, David made a practical decision and spelled it out loud and clear repeatedly, “In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. In God I trust; I will not be afraid." You also need to declare now and again like David, 'Come what may, I am not going to be afraid. I will keep trusting in God because He has given me His many promises. He has kept His promises to me many times and I praise Him for those. I trust him and I will not be afraid!'
Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to declare like David, 'I will not be afraid now or in the future, whatever may come'. Lord, "You are my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble" (Psa 46.1). Amen.
BIBLE READING FOR TODAY PSALM 56
3. When I am afraid, I will trust in you, God.
v 4. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?
v. 11. In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
No comments:
Post a Comment