By Dr. Benjamin George
The LORD said to Moses, "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy." 'Each of you must respect your mother and father, and you must observe my Sabbath. I am the LORD your God.’ Lev 19:1-3 (TNIV Today's New International Version).
Holiness to many of us is an attitude and appearance to exhibit and not a way of everyday life. It is not very different from the lifestyle of the Pharisees whom Jesus sternly rebuked. He asked His disciples not to follow them. Have you ever considered, honouring or respecting your parents as part of holiness? To many, daily life has become too cluttered and committed that even sparing a thought for the aged parents or visiting them or buying something to give them is out of the question. The very ones who brought you to life and sacrificed their lives and helped you to make you what you are today have no place in your life! Friend, to God, ‘honouring or respecting your father and mother’ is part of holiness in life! Or why on earth did He couple it with the command to be holy!
An SMS from a close friend just popped up on my HP. “My father is on his way to the hospital emergency vomiting and purging blood. Please pray!” Parents do not live forever!
Once, a rich man asked his young son to help him place his old, decrepit grandfather into a basket. He wanted to carry him and cast him away some place far away so that he would no longer be a nuisance! The young lad was a bit shocked but reluctantly helped his father. A long way off from the house, the young boy asked , "Dad, can I ask you something?" The father said, "Go ahead." The son said, "Can I bring the basket back after throwing grandpa away?" Puzzled the dad asked his young son, "But what do you want the old basket for?" He said, "So I can use it to carry you when you are old!". History is funny, it repeats itself!
As important as the commandment to honour your father and mother is, even more important is the commandment to "Keep the Sabbath holy". Think for a moment, is going to church without any preparation as if going to a show, or wearing any and every kind of shoddy outfit, or wearing fancy clothes only to attract attention, or reaching the sanctuary of the thrice holy God half an hour late, ways of 'keeping the Sabbath holy?" You must give credit to the Africans who come immaculately dressed before God. God honours those who honour Him!
Dear believer, it is time to question your 'so called holiness!' Sad to say, the Hindus and Muslims who do not profess holiness, put us the Evangelicals, Pentecostals and Charismatics to shame!
"CHANGE YOUR WAYS, YOU HYPOCRITES," SAID JESUS! CHANGE IS THE ORDER OF THE DAY! “YES! WE CAN IS THE CRY!” FRIEND, BEGIN OR BE CONDEMNED!
Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, forgive me for my shallow concept of Your holiness. Help me to cast aside the ‘outward show and embrace the reality’ which You are looking for in me. Amen.
BIBLE READING FOR TODAY LEVITICUS 19
1 The LORD told Moses
2 to say to the community of Israel, "Be holy, because I, the LORD your God, am holy.
3 Each of you must respect your mother and your father, and must keep the Sabbath, as I have commanded. I am the LORD your God.
4 "Do not abandon me and worship idols; do not make gods of metal and worship them. I am the LORD your God.
11 "Do not steal or cheat or lie.
12 Do not make a promise in my name if you do not intend to keep it; that brings disgrace on my name. I am the LORD your God.
13 "Do not rob or take advantage of anyone. Do not hold back the wages of someone you have hired, not even for one night.
14 Do not curse the deaf or put something in front of the blind so as to make them stumble over it. Obey me; I am the LORD your God.
15 "Be honest and just when you make decisions in legal cases; do not show favoritism to the poor or fear the rich.
16 Do not spread lies about anyone, and when someone is on trial for his life, speak out if your testimony can help him. I am the LORD.
17 "Do not bear a grudge against others, but settle your differences with them, so that you will not commit a sin because of them.
18 Do not take revenge on others or continue to hate them, but love your neighbors as you love yourself. I am the LORD.
26 "Do not eat any meat with blood still in it. Do not practice any kind of magic.
27 Do not cut the hair on the sides of your head or trim your beard
28 or tattoo yourselves or cut gashes in your body to mourn for the dead. I am the LORD.
30 Keep the Sabbath, and honor the place where I am worshiped. I am the LORD.
32 "Show respect for old people and honor them. Reverently obey me; I am the LORD.
33 "Do not mistreat foreigners who are living in your land.
34 Treat them as you would an Israelite, and love them as you love yourselves. Remember that you were once foreigners in the land of Egypt. I am the LORD your God.
35 "Do not cheat anyone by using false measures of length, weight, or quantity.
36 Use honest scales, honest weights, and honest measures. I am the LORD your God, and I brought you out of Egypt.
No comments:
Post a Comment