Thursday, April 18

Romans 6:6

Scripture:


Romans 6:6 “We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.” (ESV)

Observation:

It was the first time, after giving my anger over to the Lord, that I felt that old familiar rage beginning to boil within me. Growing up with an anger problem, I had finally sat down with God and had a long discussion about my anger. I learned from it that the anger I carried was mine to let go of, not God’s to take away. I read scripture after scripture as I learned about anger, who it was ok to be angry but not sin, to be slow in anger and how letting anger control me made me a fool. Today’s verse speaks to us about the new me, no longer enslaved to the sin of our past! When the anger began to grow within me, I took a moment and thought of what I had learned from God’s Word, how not to be enslaved to sin. It was ok to be angry but now I had a choice to sin or not to! In the Discipleship Resource found at Men.AG.Org entitled “New Me”, there is a lesson about no more excuses. It was time I didn’t find an excuse to allow my anger to control me, my sin to control me, it was time I walked in the newness of Christ. 

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love. 
  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

TOM SEMBER has been involved in ministering to men for over 20 years. He is an ordained minister with the AG in the NY Ministry Network. Tom lives with his wife, Carolyn, and children in New York. You can connect with Tom on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment