Wednesday, June 26

Ephesians 4:22-23

Scripture:


Ephesians 4:22-23 (ESV) “…to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds…” 

Observation:

I could have had someone else do it for me, but it was kind of a right-of-passage. When I got my first car, I soon found myself with a flat tire along the road. Sure, I could have called for help, but I wanted to change the tire myself. Today's verse speaks about our old self and putting on a new one. Changing the tire was difficult. It was hard to get the lug nuts off, hard to find the right place to put the jack, and hard to remember what my dad had taught me about the task. But when the new tire was on, and I was driving down the road again, life was good. Sometimes in life we need to change those things that are "flat." Yes, it will be difficult but if we renew our minds with the things of God, remembering His words about corruption by deceitful desires, our lives can be renewed. So the question is, are you running on a flat tire? Is it time to change from your old self?

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love. 
  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

TOM SEMBER has been involved in ministering to men for over 20 years. He is an ordained minister with the AG in the NY Ministry Network. Tom lives with his wife, Carolyn, and children in New York. You can connect with Tom on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment