8 And I brought you into the land of the Amorites, who dwelt on the other side of the Jordan, and they fought with you. But I gave them into your hand, that you might possess their land, and I destroyed them from before you. 9 Then Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose to make war against Israel, and sent and called Balaam the son of Beor to curse you. 10 But I would not listen to Balaam; therefore he continued to bless you. So I delivered you out of his hand.
We are blessed to know that God fights our battles for us. There are so many moments in our lives where life gets bigger than us and we face challenges we can’t overcome, much less control.
Here Joshua reminds the people how God won such victories for them. From their very first battles on the east side of the Jordan, God was giving them victories. At that time the army of Israel was just learning to fight. They were inexperienced and ill-equipped for battle after centuries in slavery. Still, the Amorites were defeated because God gave the Israelites victory. Even against the Moabite strategy—an effort to curse the people of Israel—God gave victory. An old prophet tried to curse them, but the words that came from his mouth proclaimed blessing. No weapon in Israel’s hand could do that—God was fighting for them!
And God fights for you as well. He helps you in battles you know you are facing, and some that rage around you unseen. He is with you, leading you according to His promises, and you can celebrate that reality by worshipping Him with your whole heart. That’s Joshua’s goal for the people—think about what God has done and always be faithful to Him!
– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment