1 Then Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel to Shechem and called for the elders of Israel, for their heads, for their judges, and for their officers; and they presented themselves before God. 2 And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘Your fathers, including Terah, the father of Abraham and the father of Nahor, dwelt on the other side of the River in old times; and they served other gods. 3 Then I took your father Abraham from the other side of the River, led him throughout all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his descendants and gave him Isaac. 4 To Isaac I gave Jacob and Esau. To Esau I gave the mountains of Seir to possess, but Jacob and his children went down to Egypt.5 Also I sent Moses and Aaron, and I plagued Egypt, according to what I did among them. Afterward I brought you out.
What historical claim can God make on your life?
Here, Joshua begins his final address to the people by reminding them of how Yahweh had been their God. He had established them as a people, brought them out of horrific slavery, and now given them rest in a land of their own. Joshua is establishing God’s right to demand their faithfulness and worship because He had been faithful to fulfill His covenant promises, made with Abraham and with them.
What might these words look like in your life story? How can God describe His actions on your behalf and what would He include if He were making the same case concerning you?
Truth is, each of us have many reasons to worship God—not just because we’re thankful for His help and love, but because He has demonstrated His right to our allegiance. He has been our God, so as we go forward, we must be His people. It’s not a forced obedience, but the more I reflect on what God has done for me, the more I want to live in a way that honors Him.
– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment