Read Genesis 22:11-12 – But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” So he said, “Here I am.” And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.” (NKJV)
Can you trust God when things don’t make sense? I’m not sure any of us can imagine Abraham’s thoughts as he lifted the knife. How does this make sense? How can I possibly sacrifice my son? How can I explain this to his mother? Yet, in spite of all the objections he must have felt in his heart, Abraham trusted God enough that God called out from heaven to stop him at the last possible moment... the last possible moment. Have you noticed that God often responds at the last possible moment? Some people say that God is never late, but He’s never early either. While the word “never” is too strong, the point is clear. God allows our faith to carry us right to the point of failure or lost hope or the edge of disappointment, likely to see if we trust Him fully. Only then does God respond with the answer we wish He’d sent sooner. But as in Abraham, God seeks to reveal something in us that’s truly critical. Will we trust Him fully? That is something to think about while we wait for an answer from God.
– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment