Wednesday, May 23

Wednesdays with Moses


Read Exodus 6:7-9 – “‘… I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the Lordyour God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. And I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and I will give it to you as a heritage: I am the Lord.’” So Moses spoke thus to the children of Israel; but they did not heed Moses, because of anguish of spirit and cruel bondage. (NKJV)

How well can you hear God’s promises when things are difficult around you? Here the Israelites aren’t ready to believe the hope of Moses’ message because their lives are filled with torment. God promises them deliverance and a land of promise, while also affirming His powerful presence, but they cannot receive the encouragement. They are too broken to see even a glimmer of hope. We can be critical of these people, but an honest look probably reveals how similar we can be to them. When things aren’t going well, can we be encouraged by the promises of God? Honestly, our suffering seldom rises to the level of theirs and yet our struggle is the same. But the more that we know God and the more that we have experienced His faithfulness, the more reason we have to rise above our difficult moments with faith—not faith that things will instantly change, but faith in the God who has filled our lives with promises. He WILL bring those promises to pass.

– Dr. Mike Clarensau serves as Senior Director of the Healthy Church Network of the Assemblies of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment