Read Matthew 6:16-18 – “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.” (NKJV)
We see in the scripture that prayer and fasting are often coupled together. Jesus had just finished teaching His disciples how to pray and immediately brings up fasting. Jesus wanted His disciples to know that when they fasted, they were not doing it to impress other people but doing it unto God. By the same token, when I pray, I don’t pray to impress other people, I pray to talk to God. He is my audience. It is a conversation between us. My focus should always be upon Him and not to impress others. When I understand that, I can “relax” in prayer knowing that my Heavenly Father understands what I am saying even if my words don’t always make sense. He knows what is in my heart and “hears” the prayer that flows from it.
– Cecil Culbreth serves as the Arkansas District Secretary and Missions Director. He also leads Men’s Prayer Force in partnership with national Men’s Ministries.
National Men’s Leadership Conference: March 8-10, 2012 . Dallas, Texas . www.men.ag.org
No comments:
Post a Comment