By Dr. Benjamin George
To steal is wrong! To work is honest! But increasingly, the word “work” has become a ‘dirty word’ according to the current popular view! Doing something with your hands, earning a living and sharing with those in need were great achievements in a former era. Our fathers took pride in hard work and eating bread with sweat on their brows!
Today, honest people who are prepared to work for their money and be satisfied are fast disappearing! All want to be instant millionaires and billionaires, getting easy money through some ‘get-rich quick’ scheme! They want ‘fast bucks’ with ‘no sweat!’ They want the fabulous and flamboyant lifestyle of their heroes from Wall Street and Tokyo with yachts and jets and holiday villas in Acapulco! The world scoffs at the poor folks who keep working hard day after day ‘to keep the wolf away’ from their doors. They are branded ‘fools’ for having ‘to work hard to earn’ instead of ‘gaining from others’ hard work!’
A pastor’s wife approached me after I preached in her church about ‘a life driven by the purpose of God’ – that we should become like Jesus Christ. Quoting the now famous writer Rick Warren, I said ‘the abundant life’ Jesus offered is not one of ‘health, wealth and prosperity!’ She said that she was glad that what I said cleared the confusion caused in the church after a prophet of prosperity preached there! There is nothing wrong in entering any honest, profitable business if you can find one! Investing your hard-earned money is also a wise thing provided you don’t lose it!
Dear believer, the Word of God remains the same and simple. “He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.” Whether you are a labourer, salaried person, professional or businessman, don’t be fooled by the persuasive proponents of the world’s ‘get-rich-quick schemes’ and deride your God-ordained honest work! Be faithful to your work, to God and to the people and you will see much blessing.
I heard this over the local radio, “I am the one who provides you with your daily food; I buy all your clothes, I finance your house and cars; I provide for all the needs of your family and I even contribute towards your pension and old age. But you don’t have a good word for me! You do not like me. Indeed you dislike and even hate me! You don’t even know who I am! I AM YOUR JOB!” You need to get to like your God-given job and thank Him for it! Don’t lose it! Today many are, and crying!
Pray and practise with me: Dear Lord, help me to consider my work as God-given. Help me to do it with all my heart and strength that I will glorify You and I will have enough for myself and to give to others in need. Amen.
BIBLE READING FOR TODAY EPHESIANS 4
20 That was not what you learned about Christ!
21 You certainly heard about him, and as his followers you were taught the truth that is in Jesus.
22 So get rid of your old self, which made you live as you used to---the old self that was being destroyed by its deceitful desires.
23 Your hearts and minds must be made completely new,
24 and you must put on the new self, which is created in God's likeness and reveals itself in the true life that is upright and holy.
25 No more lying, then! Each of you must tell the truth to the other believer, because we are all members together in the body of Christ.
26 If you become angry, do not let your anger lead you into sin, and do not stay angry all day.
27 Don't give the Devil a chance.
28 If you used to rob, you must stop robbing and start working, in order to earn an honest living for yourself and to be able to help the poor.
No comments:
Post a Comment