Sunday, April 21

Matthew 5:16

Scripture:


Matthew 5:16 “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” (NASB)

Observation:

There was an old saying growing up about a wish sandwich, it was a sandwich where you had two pieces of bread and wished you had some meat! I was blessed to grow up never really having or wishing for a wish sandwich, but I knew some kids who did. When it came time for lunch at school, you would find them sitting alone and secretly opening their empty bags, not wanting to face the embarrassment of not having a lunch like others! Today’s verse speaks to us about letting our light shine before men so that God gets the glory! One day, I decided to share my lunch. I had heard at church on Sunday, the story of the Good Samaritan and thought why I can’t act the same way! It was rather awkward, as I approached the table and sat down next to one of my friends. As I opened my lunch, I gave him half my sandwich without saying a word. The smile on his face was enough to know I had not only shared a sandwich, but I had shared something deeper. In the Discipleship Resources found at men.ag.org, there is a resource entitled “Demands of Discipleship” and within that resource is a lesson entitled “Where’s the Beef”. It speaks about faith and works and how faith is dead without works. I wanted to share my faith in that lunchroom, so I worked it out!

Application:

  • Personal Application: Continue spending time with the Lord daily. Sow righteousness and reap the fruit of God's unfailing love. 
  • Family Devotional: Read this chapter to your family. Ask them if anything spoke to them as you read. Talk about their answers and show them that one important aspect of this chapter is that we must continue to spend time with the Lord and keep our hearts focused on His plans and purposes. Pray for them.

TOM SEMBER has been involved in ministering to men for over 20 years. He is an ordained minister with the AG in the NY Ministry Network. Tom lives with his wife, Carolyn, and children in New York. You can connect with Tom on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment